Are you tired of dating people who haven’t a clue what tofu is? Does the idea of dating someone who doesn’t recycle make you cringe? Having important social issues in common can be like finding a needle in a haystack. EcoDater is an eco-friendly online green dating and social networking community for single men and women who engage in a natural, holistic lifestyle. Their tagline is “love, naturally”.
Members include environmentalists, vegans and vegetarians, organic farmers, outdoor enthusiasts, eco travelers, holistic doctors, herbalists and many other practitioners of green living. The EcoDater website is so niche specific, it takes all the guesswork out of where to go to meet like-minded individuals.
I spoke with Ryel Kestano, EcoDater’s founder and owner. She told me, ”EcoDater is a niche dating and networking site aimed specifically at people who identify themselves as eco-friendly. It is a much smaller community than that of Match.com or eHarmony but all EcoDater members already have something important in common – a principled desire to live closer to nature. This shared philosophy makes it a lot easier for our members to contact each other in confidence, since finding an eco-friendly partner is among the most important goals of our members. EcoDater offers two levels of membership – a basic free membership and an enhanced premium membership. A portion of all revenues is donated to green charitable organizations.”
The acclaimed EcoDater blog is updated regularly by EcoDater editors and offers readers a comprehensive array of interesting and relevant posts. You can go read the article Feng Shui By Fishgirl contributed about Using Feng Shui To Create Sustainable Love. In that article, I talk about how to enhance your bedroom as well as what outdoor green activities will create memories and sustainable bonds for love to grow, naturally. Do check out EcoDater–it’s not like the one-size-fits-all services you may have already tried.
Do you have any online dating success stories to share? Please comment!
Check out A.G. Sulzberger’s article in the NYT today about the dwindling number of affordable housing units and the contrast in one building between the tenants above and the clientele at the restaurant below. How would you decorate and manage your possessions if you lived in a Single Room Occupancy (SRO) in NYC?
Einsteinwas famous for taking naps and the solution to his Theory of Relativity came to him while he was dreaming. We may not all be geniuses, but, we just might discover the solution to our own problems while we are focused on taking a hike instead. Slowing down and making yourself a priority is not being lazy: it’s a step towards being a successful, grounded, and productive professional. Learning how to set healthy boundaries is key.
SETTING HEALTHY BOUNDARIES
1) Put yourself at the top of your own to-do list. If you are constantly expending energy and not adding any fuel to your tank, sooner or later you’ll run out of gas. You’ll have nothing to give to your significant other or your children and you’ll certainly have nothing to give to your career. Taking care of YOU is your top priority!
2) Saying “no” to others is saying “yes” to yourself. What does saying no mean? Don’t always be available to take on the tough assignments or work overtime on the holidays. Don’t automatically reach for the doughnuts just because someone brought them in to work and you don’t want to hurt their feelings. Don’t come into work when you have a contagious cold that others will catch. Caring for yourself, you will have more to give to others.
3) Protect your ch’i (energy). Don’t take on other people’s negativity. People tend to dump their problems and vent their worries on others who allow them to do it. We end up feeling drained while they walk away feeling lighter for unburdening their load on us. Spreading harmful gossip is another energy zapper. Focus on work and taking care of yourself and avoid all energy vampires.
4) Turn on your answering machine. There, I said it. I give you permission to not answer your phone. Whether at work or at home, you have the power to slow down your responses. You might want to let people know–or not–that during the hours of this and that you are not available. Think of how much easier to get your work done if you have a solid chunk of uninterrupted time? You’ll sleep better at home if you stop accepting phone calls from friends or colleagues at least two hours before your bedtime.
4) Leave work at work. It’s a good idea to decompress from the stress at work before you begin interacting with your family and friends. Develop some little routine that becomes your own individual “ritual” to help you make the transition from work life to personal life. Your ritual will be your own. The most important thing is to allow yourself at least 20 to 30 minutes at the end of work to let go of the corporate dramas and get your mind back in touch with your life and what’s important to you. After all, you’re not only a professional. You’re a member of a family,and, you have other interests besides what you do for a living.
We’re on our way over to see the sustainable “Float Rope” doormats over at Nervous Nellie’s. That’s Anne & Peter’s dog Scout seen next to a pile of the colorful recycled float rope mats. We think these are way cool, do their job well, and are one small step (pardon the pun) you can take to help save the planet. Is that good feng shui? You bet! What’s in front of your door? Send me pics, please.
I’d like to know if you care about the way your home-away-from-home space looks and feels when you’re on vacation. Do you cringe at the thought of laminated hotel furniture? Will thread count make or break your memories of vacation? Is a marble bathroom crucial to your relaxation? Take my poll and tell us your hotel happy or horror stories in the comments section.
You don’t have to go to DC to enjoy cherry blossom season. Your own kitchen will do. This apron is only $9.95 at Mrs. Lin’s and she’s got a variety of lovely teapots as well. Here’s a photo of my favorite tea seller’s stall in the market in Guangzhou, China.
Jasmine pearl tea is my favorite morning libation and is one of the most expensive teas out there if you go to trendy tea parlors in the US. Instead, buy it online from LA’s Chinatown department store for a third of the price. Remember: saving money builds Wealth & Prosperity, and that’s always good feng shui.
Be sure to check out the FITBUFF blog where Feng Shui By Fishgirl is included in the Blog Carnival section under “Dating” tips. There are many hot tips for health (anti-aging skin care for body by Farid Mostamand), exercising (why you want to start yoga today by Kara-Leah Grant), and how to stay positive (written by Jeremy Ulmer) plus many more. Good stuff!
Where do you place your health and fitness on your list of priorities? Seriously, make a list. Examine your list closely. Is working late hours a higher priority than working out? Does scoring the next raise and promotion rate higher with you than raising your heartbeat? If so, you’re not practicing feng shui.
The feng shui bagua map positions the “Family & Health” sector immediately below the Wealth sector. This signifies the importance of maintaining good health in order to create abundant prosperity. It also is symbolic of the idea that a strong family, a strong body and mind, are essential to building a strong foundation for attracting and accumulating wealth.
Spring is a time of renewal. I recommend that in order to create more wealth and prosperity in our lives, we must pay more attention to our health and our family relationships.
*Routine maintenance. Get a complete physical to make sure you catch any problems early.
*Get moving! Fit exercise into your busy schedule, even if it’s simply walking more.
*Eat healthy. It’s really true that we are what we eat. A good rule of thumb is to eat a wide range of colors in fruits and veggies so you know you’re getting your vitamins naturally.
*Make amends. If you have some discord with family members, take the first step towards reconciliation.
Remember, maintaining good health and healing those family rifts directly impacts your wealth sector. Reason enough to do it!